Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fuel the fire.

This past weekend, I felt like myself again for the first time in a very long time.  I spent two and a half days catching up with one of my best friends and getting back to dancing.  We made the trip to Atlantic City for a weekend of master classes at the renowned convention, the PULSE.  So the purpose of this post: I want to remind everyone how important it is to reinvest yourself in what you love once in a while. 

For those of you who don't know me personally, I spent my entire life in a dance studio.  It's been 23 years since I had my first tap shoe tied on and I've only had two brief hiatuses since.  Dance has always been my therapy, so with this crazy life I'm trying to create, it felt damn good to get out all the emotions rattling my brain in a healthy way.  It's cathartic and helped to reignite the flame of motivation (and yes, it's been burning pretty low lately).  It definitely felt great to know my wild plyo training has increased my vertical jump so much that I was actually suffering from too MUCH hang time and kept falling a count behind.  

So another reason reconnecting with your passions, be it sports, art, or otherwise, can really improve your training game?  You'll challenge yourself mentally.  I was forced to learn intricate choreography at a mind numbingly fast pace...then perform it in front of hundreds of people I don't know, including HUGE names in the business.  When I say huge, I'm talking choreographer to Britney Spears, Emmy winners, Glee choreographer, reality dance show choreographers (SYTYCD & DWTS), movie star dancers that drove teenage girls wild, and the former Mr. J Lo.  My brain isn't used to picking up so quickly anymore, so it was a great way to force that mind body connection to increase.  Maintaining the neural pathways for motor learning are critical in keeping your body young. 

Additionally, you'll force yourself outside of your comfort zone.  I can walk into the gym with astounding confidence most days and blow through anything any trainer wants to throw at me.  Walking into a convention center full of the most talented artists in the country after a 3 year performance break?  Well now we're talking about a real anxiety builder.  The experience forced me to dig deep, find my inner superstar, and get out on the floor. 

Obviously I did not offer any novel ideas here, nor did I discuss any actual fitness.  What I want to reiterate is the reason I wrote this post in the first place - fueling the fire

TLDR: Get back to what you love once in a while, even if it's not physical, to remind yourself how great you are at something and how much impact it can have on every other aspect of your life. 

Check the video for a glimpse of what dancers can pull off in just 20 minutes of class!  Can you find your inner boom kack?


1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love this, A! I can feel the energy! I recently did the same, though not a physical activity it really renewed my creative energy! So inspiring, love!

    ReplyDelete