Monday, November 14, 2011

The Globe Trotting Winds Down

It's been a few months, so it's more than time for a new post!  It's been so long, so this is sure to be a doozy.

Since my last post, I completed a 100 mile bike ride (and signed up for next year! Visit BikeMS City to Shore to join).  The training was just as much mental as physical.  It took every last shred of determination I had to convince myself that it's possible to complete 100 miles, especially after all of the mishaps our training has delivered.

What was intended to be our first 20 mile ride was reduced to about 12 miles after an unfortunate wildlife related incident.  Our second ride was brought to an abrupt halt about 2 miles from home when my handlebars separated from my bike.  This resulted in a trip to the bike shop, where I learned that my brakes were permanently in contact with the wheel - no wonder I was struggling so much!  New bike acquired.  We didn't hit a solid stride until we started biking the Great Swamp - 24 miles of gargantuan hills.  Luckily, both Leor and I rode like champions (thanks to all those pre-ride pancakes) and celebrated with sandwiches.  Training = eats!  Race day alone burned almost 5000 calories :) Overall, one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had and am more than looking forward to next year. 

WEEEEEEE!!! We're finished!
Rookie Century Finishers - Team Amandas
After that, both Leor and I turned 25.  This obviously means it was time to celebrate - a LOT.  All over America.  We spent a week in Orlando visiting family, Mickey, and of course, Hogwarts.  Let me tell you, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is the best thing to hit Universal since GUTS.  And thank goodness we are in good shape because we hustled through those parks like Olympic speed walkers.

YAY! I'm going to Hogwarts!!  If only NJ Transit was so fun...

Then the celebration moved to the Poconos for a weekend in the woods with some great friends.  An accidental 7 mile hike ensued in less than stellar weather, but we scored the chance to feed a giraffe.  Fair trade?  I say yes.
Giraffe time.
Finally, the quarter century celebrations are wrapping up with...drum roll, please...skydiving!!  So far, Mother Nature has been very much against this venture.  Every time we schedule, the weather jumps ship and we get October snow or 40mph gusts of wind.  Here's hoping we get to jump before 2012 :) At least we had a great time in Atlantic City at the Chelsea!

Stay tuned for some major news dropping this week!  I'm back for good this time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment